Saturday, April 24, 2010

VJ Samsonite's "Hot New Music" song of the day is....

...Repulsion, by US indie-rock band Quasi. Quasi come at us out of ever-green Portland, Oregon, regional home of the Trailblazers, great micro-brews, me, and much much more. Quasi formed in 1993, consisting of an ex-husband and wife duo, Sam Coomes (vocals, guitar, rocksichord, and keyboards) and Janet Weiss on vocals and drums, to later on add bassist Joanna Bolme (in 2007). Quasi have been fairly prolific as they have released 10 studio albums. Repulsion, comes off of their latest album titled American Gong, which was released in February of 2010. I heard this band on the radio, an internet radio station and liked it, plus they are from my hometown. The radio personality was saying that they reckoned that Quasi are lost in the 90's, which I suppose I can see as they have some guitar riffs shades of Smashing Pumpkins, and vocals a bit reminiscent of 80's band The Replacements; but all in all that is all completely subjective, and they are indie-rock, so that's enough for me. Blah!

1 comment:

  1. Did you really pick not just an American band, but a local one and one I actually enjoy? Will wonders never cease!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete