Saturday, March 26, 2011

Now They Call Them Oldies = 'Donna' by Ritchie Valens (1958)

Here's an oldie for the week...Donna by the late Mexican-American singer/songwriter/guitarist/legend Ritchie Valens. Ritchie Valens ( Ricardo Esteban Valenzuela Reyes), was born in 1941, and died tragically in 1959 at the young age of 17! But in those short 17 years he left us with some classics, and my shuffle results brought me to this Valens song. Now, obviously being a child of the 80's Valens was long gone before I was even a concept, but I still appreciate his contribution to American music and of course I remember watching the 1987 biographical movie La Bamba on HBO as a kid and being impacted by the music and story (you know, the one with Lou Diamond Phillips). So anyways, Donna is the oldie of the week, and it peaked at #2 on the US Billboard Hot 100.

No comments:

Post a Comment